New Type of School Would Add Dignity

New Concept for Better Success


 
I had a plan. I took my computer with me on the train, for my trip to Santa Barbara. My plan was to use the time to review the YouTube videos that had been done by Gopi Kallayil. I wanted to do this for two reasons: (1) To learn more about this person whom I had helped coach as a speaker to the top 20 of a Toastmasters International contest that included 35,000 contestants; and (2) To see what kind of content I would need to come up with to make a difference in my own YouTube videos – should I get around to making them. But then I met Beverly.
 
We met in line – in San Jose – while waiting to board the train. She was an older lady – older than I by a handful of years. I was waiting there with my sister, Paulette – who was seeing me off. The day was thick with smoke from the Camp fire and my knees were complaining about standing for so long. So the chat with Beverly was a welcome respite from the ordeal of waiting. I don’t know what was said, but the chat included another lady, and it helped me immensely. I’ve never outgrown my impatience with ‘down time.’ Then it was time to board.
 
My usual gambit is to board and as fast as I can, make a beeline for the observation car, and try to secure a booth seat with a table – facing forward if at all possible. And once I was allowed to board, that is exactly what I did. Then Beverly came along and asked if she could join me. I said yes, and we started to chat once more. This time our chat took the more useful and ordinary turn of two people trying to share more about themselves with each other. She learned about some of my professional accomplishments, and I learned about hers. She heard about my family life, and I heard about hers. It was a thoroughly enjoyable exchange.
 
Beverly was reading a book, “It’s Even Worse than You Think” – What the Trump Administration is Doing to America” by David Cay Johnston. I looked at the contents and made a mental note to get the book – though I don’t currently have a lot of time to read. We shared a concern for our nation and the condition of its people, and then she said it. “I believe we should have more vocational high schools in the public school system.”
 
On a personal note, I’ve believed for a long time that vocational schools are great for helping those who are either too poor or not inclined to go to college get a strong start toward their working life. And I believe it helps them with their competence as well as pride in their chosen field. But I was unprepared for the story she then told me.
 
She was born in Canada, into a family that ultimately had several siblings – 5 I think. Her father was American and registered her as an American child born out of the country. But he left the family, and returned to America. Her mother was both overwhelmed and unable to provide for all of the kids while she worked. A decision was made to put the children in a group home where they slept and ate, while attending school. On some weekends, they would go to their mother’s apartment and spend time with her. At some point, Beverly heard about a vocational high school in Florida, that would provide the classes needed to apply to college if a student wanted that route, along with the vocational training. She applied to it and got accepted. Now in her 80’s, she believes the school’s name was John Hopkins Vocational High School. But it was a vocational school like none I had ever heard of.
 
This school covered all or many of the vocations that are available in any society. There was a beauty department for hair, nails, and so forth. There was a mechanical department for automotive occupations. There was a dental department for those who wanted to follow that field. I wasn’t taking notes, so cannot remember all of the occupational fields that she said were covered – but the big picture was that this one vocational high school supported growth toward many different occupational fields. Prior to this, I had only heard of vocational schools that were focused on one occupational field – and were not public high schools. A school such as Beverly described would accomplish a lot for the students it serves:
Same Benefits as Focused Vocational Schools
  • Provides hands-on training for a specified occupation
  • Provides ability to apply for and obtain license, if required (including preparation for the qualifying test)
  • Builds pride in their ability in that field
Additional Benefits of a Multi-Occupation Vocational Public High School
  • The possibility of continuing with college, if that is the desired route
  • Decreases the perspective of a hierarchy of occupations – which diminishes the value of contributions of some in deference to the contributions of others
  • Replaces it with a perspective where all occupations are both important and needed to support a fully functioning society
  • Increases a students’ pride in themselves as valuable contributors to that society whether or not they select the college route – By the way – without college, Beverly rose to become a very active leader in her community and her profession!
Today, with all the division in our nation, people are choosing sides. They are identifying themselves as the haves or the have nots, as the important contributors or the non-valued contributors. Hateful crimes – as a result – are on the rise.
 
People often don’t even know their neighbors. Our communities are struggling and challenged with members who often no longer see a responsibility to join together and support them (i.e., the communities) – or even to support each other.
 
Costs are ever-rising to support those communities, when their members are not stepping up to do it. Additional costs are needed to support citizens who through lack of education or self-esteem now require it.
 
And yes, there would be additional costs involved to set up such schools. But the restored dignity to all members of our society would surely reduce the number of those people who shouldn't - and then wouldn't - need to be subsidized.
 
I wondered why – with current college tuitions skyrocketing – we weren’t considering the implementation of such programs in the public school system today. I wondered why – with schools and social programs struggling to keep students from dropping out – we haven’t recognized the immense value of such public school programs. And I wondered if it wouldn’t be important for me to at least share my experience with Beverly, and these resulting thoughts, with others.
 
Expanding the public school system to include at least one vocational high school (such as described above) per unified school district would not solve all of these problems. But a community of people who feel competent in their contributions and know their own value would – and such schools would go a long way to build such people. Personal dignity isn't a privilege, it is a right.
 
Isn’t this possibility worth considering?

Comments